Jet Lag Meaning?
What is Jet Lag and why do we get it? The best and easiest way to define ‘Jet Lag’ is to say it’s like having a debilitating ‘sleep disorder.’ Jet Lag is also called ‘Time Zone Change Syndrome.’ It can affect anyone who travels across multiple time zones in a short period of time. Spending hours on a plane travelling across different time zones can affect your internal body clock. Being jetlagged can leave you feeling weary, dehydrated and even unwell.
Jet lag is a temporary condition which affects many long-haul passengers and is a health hazard for those who travel long-distances for business. Some passengers suffer more than others and find it very difficult to reset their circadian rhythm and adjusting to a new time zone. These unpleasant feelings can last for weeks until your body’s circadian rhythm syncs to its new or old time zone.
Symptoms can affect you both day and night. You may find you wake in the wee-hours of the morning and are unable to fall back to sleep. Day time fatigue and the need for an afternoon nap are very common ailments. Depending on how many time zones you cross, the higher the chances you will experience symptoms of jet lag.
Research shows that jet lag also causes memory lapse, irritability, digestive disorders, impaired judgement and lack of apathy. People suffering from Jet Lag have been compared to drivers under the influence of alcohol. Taking some simple steps you can help prevent and minimise jet lag.
Travellers often ask ‘How long does jet lag last’ and the truth answer is the duration of the symptoms depends on a number of factors. Being outdoors in natural light, eating well and drinking lots of water is natures way of reducing the unpleasant feelings of jetlag.
How To Reduce Jet Lag | Jet Lag Cure | Jet Lag Remedies
These following jet lag prevention and recovery tips may help reduce the severity and shorten the time period. If symptoms persist, speak to your doctor.
What is Pycnogenol and does it prevent or reduce Jet Lag symptoms?
Pycnogenol ‘a pine bark extract’ is the world’s most clinically researched super antioxidant. 1Above flight drink hit the market nearly 10 years ago with the aim of helping world travellers recover quicker from the fatigue of travelling. Adding 1Above hydration products to your water may help to prevent and reduce the symptoms of jet lag as it includes key electrolytes which help support optimal hydration. Before taking this product, ask your doctor about the potential Pycnogenol benefits and Pycnogenol side effects as it may interact with your medications.
These following Jet Lag prevention and recovery tips may also help reduce the severity and time period of the symptoms. If symptoms persist, speak to your doctor.
- Set your watch to the time zone of your destination, after take-off.
- Avoid caffeine and alcohol. Although, wine can make you feel sleepy, it accelerated dehydration.
- Drink plenty of water before, during and after flying to reduce your jet lag symptoms.
- Avoid artificial light. Sunglasses, jet lag mask and eye mask can help.
- When you arrive at your destination try to stay awake until your normal bed time. Being outside in natural light will help reset your body clock to adjust to the new time zone. Don’t forget to wear your sunglasses.
- Depending on the distance you are travelling, consider whether flying through the day or night is best for you.
- Jet lag pills like Swiss Vitamin B12 and Ostelin Vitamin D supplements help to reset your body clock and combat fatigue.
- 1Above anti Jet Lag tablets are effervescent drink tablets with super antioxidant pycnogenol, vitamins and electrolytes which help support optimal hydration.
- Melatonin supplements and medication are referred to as the ‘jet lag helper’. It has been used for the treatment of jet lag for decades. The results are conflicting regarding its effectiveness however many travellers swear by it. Taking Melatonin for jet lag may not be suitable for people with certain medical conditions as it may interfere with other medication. In some countries like Australia, Melatonin medication is only available on prescription from a medical doctor.
- Anti-jet lag remedies such as homeopathic versions (non-drug) are safe and may work for you.
- Liddell jlg Jet lag may prevent jet lag and eases tiredness, dehydration, disorientation and sleeplessness.
- Massage, exercising and stretching are the simple most powerful aids in fighting jet lag. Exercise helps your body to release the good feel hormones such as endorphins, serotonin, dopamine and testosterone. These naturally-made pick-me-ups help boost your immune system, improve mood and sleep quality.
Disclosure: Please understand that many links on this page are affiliate links, and at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you decide to purchase one of the products below. Please understand that everything below was chosen because I have used it myself and find them beneficial when travelling. But make sure you make your own judgment before purchasing.
Do Children Get Jet Lag?
Yes, Yes, Yes! Just like adults, babies and children can also be affected by Jet Lag. It can be a very difficult time for parents dealing with a child under the evil spell of nasty jet lag symptoms. Baby jet lag conversations are a common thread on parenting travel forums. Parents desperate to learn tips and tricks to avoid it. Sadly from years of travelling with children, I can confirm that there is no magic answer. Just go with the flow is my best advice. Sleep when they sleep, eat when they eat and play when they play. Unfortunately, jet lag is the ugly side effect of international travel.
Tell Tail Signs Of A Jet Lag Child
Children are often teary, grumpy, bad-mannered, sleepy…..and complain of feeling unwell. You get the picture! A little person can become fearful and confused by the terrible feelings associated with an internal body clock that is totally out of whack.
There are a number of things you can do to help your child cope better. Choosing the right time to fly is a good start, a flight close to normal bedtime. An overnight stopover will also help to break up the duration of a long flight and help your child to sync their body clock to a new time zone.
It is important not to hit the ground running at your new destination. If you have a planned family event, allow the entire family a few days of rest before the special occasion. Same goes for when you get home.
How to get over jetlag is not an easy question to answer and even more difficult to explain to children. Reassure your child that the symptoms won’t last forever and encourage them to eat and drink well and to play outdoors in warm sunshine. There will be plenty of screen-time for them on the flight home!
Your Personal Travel Planner | Travel Consultant
My personal travel planning service can include booking fabulous accommodation, flights, transportation, tourist attractions and have you eating in the best restaurants. Another service I provide is perusing the itinerary you may have in your mind. I am happy to look over your travel ideas and offer advice for a small fee. I’m here to help you.
Planning is my forte; I’m good at it. Researching and travel planning makes me excited, and I love putting together a personalised travel plan. Let me help you have a fantastic holiday without the stress and save money at the same time.
Let’s talk! Direct message me at firstname.lastname@example.org and we can get the ball rolling towards your next vacation. You’re invited to join our Facebook Group Australia Travel | The Land Down Under.
It’s here, we discuss the best places to visit, top things to do, will inspire you with hidden gems, and help you with planning your trip to Australia!
We share hints, tips and beautiful photos. If you have any travel questions about Australia or anywhere else in the world – you’re more than welcome to ask your questions here.
Travel Planning Resources
Subscribe to the Progressive Traveller community and receive my FREE printable travel packing checklists. Learn how to pack efficiently and maximise your luggage space for your next trip abroad. (checklist available at the end of this section)
Book Your Flight
Rent A Car
RentalCars.com is where you will find the right car in the right place at the right price. It’s the best car rental site for comparing prices and offers.
My go-to-online accommodation search engine is Booking.com. With over 830,000 hotels, apartments, villas, resorts, guest houses and B&Bs, you will be spoilt for choice. They offer great rates, *free cancellation, no reservation fees and best prices are guaranteed. Through the booking site you have access to customer reviews, special offers and great deals. Plus, each accommodation is shown by location and photos, so you know exactly what to expect.
Save $35 with this Airbnb coupon code and learn the best way to find cheap Airbnb accommodation around the world. Check my Go Travel eBook for more accommodation pro tips.
Protect You and Your Belongings
If you can’t afford travel insurance, you can’t afford to travel! Protect yourself and your belongings with my preferred consumer insurer, World Nomads. They provide an extensive range of options to suit your type of travel and they are giving my readers a 5% discount code when they enter Go Travel. Head to World Nomads, and enter the promo code GOTRAVEL for an exclusive discount!*
- For our Canadian and US travellers, unfortunately due to financial services laws, World Nomads cannot provide a discount. This promotional code cannot be used with any other discount offer, including World Nomads Members’ discount for travel insurance policy holders.